COMMENTS: The owner bought this bike in the 1970s. We found the engine to be seized and required a top and bottom end engine & transmission rebuild/overhaul. During the rebuild, we found the cylinders were rusted caused by improper storage. Otherwise, the engine was in otherwise fairly good, albeit very dirty condition. After a thorough cleaning, new bearings, gaskets, pistons, rings, valves and other components were replaced.
The customer opted for upgrades including a Mikuni carburetor, Boyer Bransden electronic ignition, and 12-volt charging system. The frame was stripped to its bare skeleton, de-greased, and inspected for cracks or fractures. We then painted it with an urethane enamel black, and began reassembly. Tapered roller steering bearings replaced the old ball and cup type. The forks were rebuilt with new seals, dampening pistons, boots, and fluid. The rear swing arm bushings were fitted, and rear shocks were rebuilt with new bushings. All original type decals were fitted as necessary. Special attention was given to the battery tray area for corrosion treatment prior to painting so future deterioration won't be a problem.
In the case of this Triumph, the owner decided not to go with the original colors, but to still follow the original style of two-tone paint and pin striping. A Chrysler blue metallic and Dodge Silver pearl were used for the color combination, along with a gold pinstripe (hand painted). The fuel tank also had a large dent in its right side, and had also been filled, but the filler had fallen off years ago - that's why we are not fans of putty. We removed the dent and correctly repaired the sheet metal so that only spot putty was required to reshape a small flaw in the sheet metal. The rear fender had been bobbed by a previous owner and had lots of body filler in it, so we stripped it and repaired the damage correctly, carefully trimming the rear fender evenly on its end, and using no filler afterward.
We replaced the missing kneepads, installed new emblems, and had the tank top rack re-chromed. The wheels on this bike were very rusted, had loose spokes, and in general weren't even worth re-chroming or devoting much time to. Replacement of the rims with Brickwood aluminum rims, and stainless steel spokes was chosen, and the only parts reused were the hubs. The front hubcap was sent for re-chroming. Bearings and seals were replaced and repacked with modern grease. Brakes were assessed and serviced as necessary. New Dunlop vintage-look tires were added. Lastly, several parts were re-chromed, the seat was recovered, and a new wiring harnesses was installed. The customer kept the high bars, chromed oil tank, and chromed side cover. For safety and convenience, correct period style turn signals were added, along with a halogen headlight and modern mirrors. This restoration took over 57 hours.